Wednesday, June 15, 2011

the best birthday

disclaimer: I am not proud of my actions in the story I am about to relay. I do not suggest others should act in the same manner. However, this relationship taught me a lot about myself and what I do and do not deserve so that I will never be in a similar relationship again.


the best birthday

it was not my birthday. but it was the birthday of someone i was very familiar with. the girl with whom my boyfriend was cheating on me.

this particular summer, i was living in chicago, dating a guy from grad school. his 'friend' (that's my nice word for it) conveniently also lived in chicago.

my coworker friends often went to this bar in lincoln park called the Lion Head Pub, but I was always stressing out about this guy so I never went.

until...

the 'friend's' birthday was approaching and it just so happened that she like the Lion Head Pub as well! So that Friday when my coworkers asked me to go...I said, "why Sure!"

saturday night rolls around and one of my friends stops by to pick me up on their way to lincoln park. when i walked into the apartment lobby in my little, definitely not on a summer intern's budget, black dress. he said, (and I quote) "damn"

perfect

everyone i was with knew about the birthday girl and what was about to go down, so there was no shortage of liquid courage that night. after a couple hours, the frolicking birthday crew arrived. boyfriend in tow.

i was like a vulture waiting on its prey...after a while i casually walked up to my boyfriend said something really catty. i can't remember what i said, but the look of shock on his face was unforgettable. and then i laid this big kiss on his lips and walked away.

for the next hour or so, i hung out with my friends...making sure at all times that no hair was out of place and that one of my good looking and much younger coworkers was not far away. the table picked out by the birthday girl just happened to be near the one my friends were at so in one walk back to our table, i pushed through to the inner circle surrounding the birthday girl and said, "hi!! happy birthday!!" as if we were the best of friends.

i gave her a big hug and when i pulled away,

she was crying

after seeing this, one of my friends grabbed me by the elbow and told me it was time for me to leave. to him, i owe many thanks.

moral of this story:




i bite.

No comments:

Post a Comment