Sunday, July 24, 2011

Who's your Daddy?


Remember that hangout house in college that everyone went to every weekend?

For me, that house was on Hawk Tree in College Station.

One particular night, all the usuals were there and there were a few new faces too. One particular face was worth taking a second look at. I told my friend (Katelyn, get with the times and get blog so I can link to you too, geeze) about this one guy and she said,

Go talk to him!!

So, a few ounces of liquid courage later, I happen to be in line behind this new object of my affection at the keg.

Knowing me, I'm sure a really intellectual conversation followed where we discussed politics and the war. Or maybe I just asked him where he was from. Good pick up line.

.......and the following conversation ensued......

me: Fredericksburg? Really, I have a lot of family there!

him: Oh yeah, who?

me: well, Scott and Kyle

him: oh cool are you cousins with Chad too?

me: no, they are cousins on their dad's side. Our moms are sisters.

him: blank stare

him: I will give you one guess what my last name is.

me: (guessing every German/Fredericksburg last name, totally oblivious to the obvious) well, I give up

him: um Eckert

me: holy crap

him: yeah I'm pretty sure our Grandpas are brothers.


well, that ended my crush on him.

what a pity.

silver lining (and to answer that question I KNOW you are thinking...): at least we didn't make out

and, at least I never went on a date with him...not like anyone in my family ever went on a date with a second cousin, (there might be more on that later...)

Dating Lesson: Before crushing on a mysterious man at a party, you might want to get a few particulars out in the open first...


1 comment:

  1. I totally knew where you were going with this before I even read the entire post! You and TJ have a lot in common...supposedly, he accidentally hit on his cousins at dances in high school. At least that's the rumor.

    ReplyDelete